By: Alexandra Blaszczak
It’s no secret that the elevators in our building have been less than optimal in the last few years taking forever to get you to where you want to go. With exam period coming up, all you students may have some difficulty finding time to go to the gym to work on those summer bodies (summer is creeping up sooner than we think!). I know we’ve heard this all before, but I strongly suggest making the effort to take the stairs every now and then! Some of the benefits of taking the stairs are:
- It’s totally and completely free!
- Can be done by almost anyone, regardless of fitness level
- Burns more calories than jogging
- Helps the body provide endorphins – the hormone known for creating a sense of happiness in our minds
- Can be a great study break and stress-buster
- Can help build bone strength and target common problem areas such as calves, thighs, buttocks and stomach
- You don’t have to wait for that slow Neill Wycik elevator!
Some of my friends and I have started a stairs/steps challenge to compete against one another and start a little friendly competition. You can use the iPhone health app to track your steps and stories climbed, but I would also suggest the app Stridekick (which is totally free!) as you can add team members straight to the app and track each others’ progress… Also, you can’t fool the system by swinging your phone around, get steppin’ Wycik!